Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Song for my Mama (Mie)

Mummy, or "Mie" as I fondly refer to my mother is truly the queen of my heart and there are so many words I could use to express my love and gratitude for the many years she had existed in my life.
It is a sentiment shared by many, I am sure, as we all pride in our mothers in being the best in the world.

Every mother is, that is for sure, for God had designed them in such a way to give us our first breath and to give us our vitality for survival.

Mothers are such heavenly creatures sent from God, for without them, we would not exist today, and it was this bit of their importance which led to the birth of Mother's Day; a particular day to honor and commemorate their wonderful works and sacrifices.
However, it is not just that one single day that we remember our mother in the calendar of 365 days in a year. No, far from that, as we, as children, should love and honor them for each day; or every second of our breath.

I am inspired to share stories about my own mother; that one woman in my life who raised me and gave me my first breath as she brought me to this world.
Mie, as I fondly call her, is not a typical mother, in my eyes as I found her to be a miracle and a true blessing sent to me from God above.

The pillar of my strength, she had been there for me every moment I breathed or opened my eyes. I know she was the first to have touched my tiny little hands, and she was the first to hush me when I burst into my first cry.
I was helpless when I looked up, but the first gaze upon my face gave me strength to survive.
She was there when I took my first step, and held me to make sure I did not fall.
Food and drinks were sufficiently prepared to ensure that I never do starve or hunger under any circumstance. In fact, I was to have the best of the food she served, and no less, and she did not mind the leftovers or whatever I did not want on my plate.

Mie could be really stern when I was a child, and surrounded me with "Don't do this, don't do that, that's really improper, etc" and there were times when I could not comprehend the reasons she took such a harsh hand with me. I was never one to break any rule, and I did well in school, but yet Mie never let me or my brother go astray. It was under her iron fist that we grew up and she made sure we learnt about the good and the bad.

Mie taught us to save our first penny, and told us never to waste money or spend unnecessarily as Daddy had to work hard to earn the money and it should be put to good use. She shared stories on people who did not manage their finances well and how this could ruin a good family. We were taught about the downsides of bad vices such as gambling, smoking, drugs, to make us aware never to follow in these bad tracks.

Mie taught me to read and write, and it was SHE who made me who I am today.
She practised fairness when it comes to punishments and rewards to her children, and made sure we understand the importance of it.
I may not truly understand her intentions when I was younger, but today, I know her hard work and what she truly wanted for us; the BEST of everything.

Mie, there are just so many things that I could tell you, but I know you definitely understand what I wanted to say even without me saying it out aloud.
You used to tell me that you bore us in your womb for nine months, and that if there is anyone who would know us better than ourselves, it would definitely be you.

This is my little song for my Mama; Mie, the most important woman in my life:

Mie, you were
My first breath, my first steps,
You were there and were all that I have
My first touch, my first cry
my first laugh, were in the presence of thy

You taught me my first word
and how to make myself heard
You taught me right from wrong
and told me to always be strong
in times of trouble and misery
to remember that it is not just me but there is a we
and behind that we, is a woman whom I know as Mie

You scolded me when I did wrong
and praised me when I did well
You told me that the journey of life is long
and that there are times when things could be hell
but there are always ways to overcome them
and there is always a helping hand.

To believe is to have faith
and sometimes to succeed we need to wait
It does not matter whether it is long or short
it is a matter that lies in our thoughts

You showed me the greatest love
more than diamonds and jewels worth
A love that could not be found elsewhere
because it is so pure and rare
a love that is shared
by all the mothers out there.

Mie,
There are just so many things I want to say
But I know you would understand them anyway
And in this beautiful month of May
I wish you a very Happy Mother's Day!~


I have grown up today, but words from my mother's mouth still stayed with me
I am proud that I have listened to her all these years
She made me who I am today, and I know she is proud of me, just as how I am proud of her.

For all the reasons that I love her and for many more, this is, for you, Mie

You brought me to the world
after nine months in your womb
and after many kicks and hurls

You have suffered
from the hours of labor
but your will was tougher
than what i could decipher
for what could be worth the pain
and all those bloodstains
but you chose to withstand
to see the little me lying in your hand
which, to you, is the most satisfying end.

You heard my first cry
and saw me grasp in the air
You smiled at my eyes
and gently touched my hair
My fingers were so tiny
and so were my feet
but you took time slowly
from my first row of teeth
to me standing on my own beat!

It probably took years
and also lots of tears
but you just stood there
even when I was your worst nightmare
showing me that you care
with a love that is just so rare

I may have hurt you before
even if it was uncalled for
but I am truly sorry
for the times I have caused you to worry
Forgive me for the tears and pain
for I know I was no saint
but believe in me that I would
do anything to repay your motherhood.

I am now grown up
and it to you that I owe this honor
You have raised me up, with your own hands
I could not have say more than enough thanks
But you were the true pillar of my strength
and you were always within an arm's length
whenever I needed someone to lean on
you were always there since the day I was born
No one could replace you in my heart,
because, Mie, you are truly the queen of my heart!~

No comments:

Post a Comment