Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Thoughts on being Married

Now that I am married, and after a whole one year of planning my own wedding, I feel happy to be entering a new chapter of my life and with a loving soul mate too :)

Most would think that being married is an exciting and adventurous journey for two people to begin their lives together. However, for me (and my hubby), we felt like it was more of a continuation of our journey of love and moving onto understanding more of each other.
We have known each other for more than five years now, and we have grown from acquaintances to best friends and now, we are lifelong soul mates (not just partners).

We are the best of friends, and we have talked about almost everything in both of our lives; from our childhood stories to the depth of our family background. There was simply no prejudice nor discrimination from either part.
We practically left no room for secrets; but of course, there are some privacy for each of us and we totally understand when there are some family stories we could not share, to protect the privacy of those relatives affected and not because we want to hide from each other.
We know everything there is to know about our families, friends and relatives; yes, the good, bad and the ugly.

If you ask me, I didn't feel as though anything changed since we were married 11 days ago (can't believe it's almost two weeks since my own wedding day!)

Yes, our two families have integrated (I am referring to our core families; parents and siblings) although hubby's relatives were just so warm and friendly as well, but our families have known each other and met a couple of times since we were together.
Our parents get along well with each other because both were equally as unbiased in socializing with each other.
They were all friendly and sociable people, and there is no such thing as judgmental nor prejudice on both sides; which I really praise the Lord.
Unlike some of the people who often judge people by their lives, wealth, and even privacy, I am truly thankful that I have a whole new family who accepts and welcomes me with open arms and hearts.

My mother-in-law is a straight-forward person, and is a no-nonsense type, but yet she is just so homey and welcoming to everyone who comes to her home. My father-in-law is a man of few words, but he is an expert in his own field; and highly intellectual! Ask him anything, and he could share tales of his own life experiences which money simply cannot buy.
They are both open-minded and yet sentimental folks at the same time.
It is not much of a trouble to get along with such understanding folks, and I appreciate their consideration and thoughts for the younger generation.

My own parents were just equally as happy to welcome dear hubby into the family, and they have already treated him as their own son since the start. (Yes, they just like him that much:)
We joked that our family is growing!

Since our wedding day, hubby and me have grown even closer to each other and we have learnt to be even more patient and understanding towards each other.
Whenever Hubby sees me in a distant state (yeah, I tend to think of a lot of things, and trust me, even though I am supposed to be in a state of bliss, I too have my worries since my own wedding day, but that would be in a separate post), he would come and give me a hug and just stay silent together with me.
Thank you, Hubby!

He would never ask me question or judges me; in fact, I am truly thankful for his presence and also how he had taught me about little things in life, and even on the behavior and attitudes of different people. He had shown me a different aspect of people and life.

I think I have learnt a lot of things during the planning of the wedding, before the wedding, during the wedding and after wedding. I have also opened my eyes to the realities of life, and WHO some of the people around me really are.
I was disappointed, upset but yet, I thank GOD for showing me through HIS eyes who they truly are.
No, I won't allow myself to get angry with them (although it's really hard), because God will not want me to succumb to anger; which is one of the deadliest sins.

I am thankful for a lot of things in my marriage; my wonderful parents who have walked with me all the way, my brother whom I am truly blessed to have as he never cared for anything else except his own sister throughout the period and he was just extremely patient even when I can succumb to my moody days, my in-laws who were just incredibly understanding and open with everything, and my hubby's relatives who just made married life and integrating into the family so enjoyable.
I have a bunch of new friends now; whom I am truly thankful for their help and presence during my wedding.

I have learnt a thing or two about judgment as well; and I guess, it is not something new but just that I took a long time to realize.

As we are entering into the 2nd week of being married to each other, we are still slowly learning the ropes; not in adapting to each other, but adapting to the extended families we now have :)

We are not just sharing our lives now; but we are joined as one in God's name and in HIS eyes.
My favorite Bible verse which I used in my wedding ceremony:
What God has joined together let no man put asunder.
Matthew 9:16

We are looking forward to our growing love, affection, attention and understanding in each other.
We pray the God will bless and enrich our lives each day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment